Replacing existing electric geyser: Gravity fed (low pressure geyser) 150 litre geyser set at 55 degrees Celsius
New Solar Geyser: 200 litre high pressure thermo syphon (geyser and panel on the roof) on flat roof standing at 40 degree angle with setting at 55 degrees Celsius with a 10 year warranty on the solar geyser and a 5 year warranty on the solar water heating control panel.
- Yearly average usage prior to solar geyser installation – 29 units per day
- Yearly average usage after solar geyser installation – 17 units per day
- All other factors remained constant. This is a saving of 12 units per day
- 12 units at R1,87 per unit = R 22,44 per day or R 682,55 per month
The total cost of the solar water heating system installation and commissioning was R21,495.00. The full amount was financed over 36 months at 15% p.a. interest rate. The monthly repayment was R745.30.
This adds a total additional cost of R62.75 per month to the monthly household bills.
However, the benefits are that:
- After 3 years the system is paid for leaving 7 years of “free” hot water under the solar geyser warranty period;
- For the remaining lifetime of the equipment (expect 20 years), “free” hot water;
- Increase the value of your property;
- Environmentally the right thing to do;
- Having hot water despite possible long power outages.
All of the above savings are calculated WITHOUT taking into account any yearly tariff increases which are likely to be anything between 8 and 20 percent year-on-year.
Get a Solar Geyser quote from Condor Solar